Coach: Gary Rogers
Swimmer/Coach ratio is 30:1
A Squad are working towards archieving success at all levels of competitive swimming, particularly at Essex County, London District and National Championship Level.
|A Squad Training Times|
|Monday||Abbs Cross School||5.30am to 7.30am|
|Abbs Cross School||6.30pm to 8.30pm|
|Tuesday||Beacontree Leisure Centre||5.30am to 7.30am|
|Abbs Cross School||6pm to 8pm (Land Training 7 to 8pm)|
|Wednesday||Abbs Cross School||5.30am to 7.30am|
|Abbs Cross School||6pm to 8.30pm (Land Training 6 to 7pm)|
|Abbs Cross School||6.00pm to 8.00pm|
|Friday||Beacontree Leisure Centre||5.30am to 7.30am|
|Saturday||Abbs Cross School||6.00am to 7.30am|
|Sunday||Abbs Cross School||6.00pm to 8.00pm|
All training times shown are start times. Squad swimmers are expected to arrive 15 minutes prior to each session for mobility and stretching. Training times may be subject to alteration and notice will be given verbally and confirmed through the club’s website.
A Squad Objective
A Squad’s objective is to promote and encourage success at all levels of competitive swimming and to promote positive lifelong values, skills and qualities
A Squad Criteria
- National qualification at Age Group, Youth or Senior level
- a District Qualifying Time the previous season in an event greater than 50metres. Consideration will be given to a swimmer achieving 50 metres entry times at National Level.
- A minimum of seven sessions (14 hours) per week (a minimum of 30 sessions per month) – more depending on age – scroll down for the ASA’s recommended number of sessions to attend
- At least two of these sessions should be mornings (*see later)
- Entry to A Squad is at the Chief Coach’s discretion and is dependent upon space being available within the squad
* Swimmers are encouraged to attend 3 or more morning sessions per week as time off in the evenings will provide them with much needed rest, recovery and socialising time. The free evenings can also be used to catch up on homework or coursework.
The main goals of the squad are to improve cardiovascular fitness, refine stroke skills and mental preparation and to address individual strengths and weaknesses.
The squad emphasises swimming speed endurance and concentrates on individual strengths in terms of stroke(s) and distance(s).
This squad is developing a more comprehensive land conditioning programme, which will be developed further this season..
Training attendance levels may change depending on the training cycle and the focus of the week, this will be advised by the Chief Coach. Other attendance levels must be worked out with the Chief Coach.
Remember long term athlete development is the key to success. Long term development is more important than short term competition results.
|11 – 13 years||14 years+||12 – 14 years||15 years+|
|Number of Swim Sessions||7 – 9+||10||Number of Swim Sessions||7 – 9+||10|
|Duration of Sessions||1.5 – 2 hours||2 hours||Duration of Sessions||1.5 – 2 hours||2 hours|
|Land Training Sessions||2||3+||Land Training Sessions||2||3+|